Building Permits

The City of Woodstock Building Department has a one permit system.  This means the application for a permit to construct or demolish is used for projects such as construciton of structures, mechanical/plumbing work and site drainage work.  This permit application form is also used for the construction of sheds, decks, porches, garages, carports, interior and exterior renovations.  Zoning by-law compliance and site plan approval (where applicable) are also part of the permit process.

When is a building permit required?

Building permits are required for a variety of different projects.  Be sure to check if your project requires a permit before you begin your construction project.

Please Note:  We do not accept building permit applications/requests via email.  An applciation along with the necessary paperwork must be sumbitted either in person or mailed to the Engineering Office, Building Department at 944 James Street.  Applicable fees are also required at the time the application is received.

Permit applications forms

When considering any kind of construction on your property, it is best to discuss your plans with local building staff before you begin your project.  They will help to determine the permits and approvals that you may require. Email  or call 519-539-2382 ext. 3103 and leave as much detail as possible about your proposed project.

Construction or demolition permit

You are required to complete an application for a permit to construct or demolish for any structure that you are proposing to construct.  (Houses, sheds, decks, porches (uncovered or covered), garages, carports, interiour/exterior renovations/alterations, additions, etc.)

Construct or Demolish Permit Application Form

Required clearances for demolition

You are required to complete a clearances for demolition form in its entirety in addition to the applicaiton for a permit to Construct or Demolish if you are proposing to demolish an existing structure.

Required Clearances for Demolition Form

Sign permit

Along with the completed sign permit application form, a site plan showing the location of the poposed sign must be provided.  Please note on the application, the date of installation and the date of removal for all temporary mobile signs.  If you do not own the property, owner authorization / approval in the form of a letter must be provided eith the applicaiton form.  For information on our sign bylaw, please follow the link provided.

Sign Permit Application Form

Pool fence enclosure permit

If you are proposing to install a pool, you will require a pool fence enclosure permit.  If a fence is existing, please note the type of material/construction and height of the fence on your required site plan.  A permit is not required for a fence if you do not have a pool.  See pool fence requirement package below for more details.

Pool Fence Enclosure Permit Application Form

Moving (oversized loads) permit

If you are proposing to move a large or oversized structure within city boundaries, you are required to take out a permit.

Oversized Load Permit Application Form

Excavation permit

If you are planning to dig, build or excavate, it is important to locate all of your utility lines first.  In fact, under the Ontario regulations, it is the law.  Please call Ontario One Call at 1-800-400-2255.

Working on city property

If you are planning on digging in the City's right-of-way / City property, an excavation permit is required.  For more information on excavation permits please call 519-539-2382 ext. 3114.

Excavation Permit Application Form

Working on private property

If you are working on private property you do not require an excavation permit.  However, if you are repairing or connecting to the City's sanitary sewer and water services a building permit is required.  You will also be required to call for an inspection for any such repair work or connections.

Driveway excavation permit

If you plan on expanding your driveway, a permit is required.  You must provide a drawing showing your existing driveway, the proposed expansion, drawings of all infrastructure around your driveway including trees, street light fixtures, hydrants, etc.  For residential units with individual private driveways, driveways are permitted to cover a maximum of 50% of the front yard or exterior side yard with parking.

Driveway Excavation Permit Application Form

What to include with your application

Along with your completed application form, you will be required to include two sets of each item noted below:

  • Site plan/property survey showing the location and outside measurements of your house and any covered structures such as sheds, porches, garages, decks, etc.  If you do not have a property survey, you may provide your own site plan drawing, provided that it is to scale.  The City of Woodstock does not provide copies of property surveys. These documents are under copyright and can be obtained by a professional surveying company at a cost to the homeowner.

  • Construction drawings showing the types of materials to be used, floor plans including foundation plans if applicable, elevation plans sections and details.  Construction drawings are not required if your structure is 108 sq.ft. or less.

  • Other applicable drawings such as site servicing plans, grading plans, architectural, structural, mechanical, plumbing, electrical and sprinkler drawings, depending on the work proposed.

Information packages

These packages provide information on a variety of construction projects.  If you have any further questions, please contact the Building Department at 519-539-2382 ext. 3103.

Building permit fees

Fees for building permits vary, depending on the type of work being done. Please follow the link to our building permit fees page.

Contact Us

© 2017 City of Woodstock P.O. Box 1539, 500 Dundas Street, Woodstock, ON N4S 0A7


Phone: 519-539-1291
TTY: 519-539-7268
Email: General Information

Back to top

I'd Like To...