Road Closures

City of Woodstock is responsible for the construction and maintenance of 213 kilometres of roads. In an effort to maintain our City's roads, sidewalks, watermains and sewers, we occasionally need to close streets for construction, maintenance and repairs.

We'll make every effort to notify you about road closures or service disruptions as early as possible. All dates are tentative and may change without notice.


Perry Street Reconstruction

Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Perry Street will be reconstructed from Simcoe Street to Main Street. Local traffic signs will be installed at Finkle Street and Main Street, Butler Street and Main Street, as well as Finkle Street and Simcoe Street, and Brock Street and Simcoe Street.  There may be brief delays when the milling machine is in the intersections at either end of Perry Street.  

Timing: Project is expected to be completed in 6-8 weeks; weather dependent.  On Monday, September 23, 2019, Main Street will be closed at Perry Street to allow for the replacement of a watermain, sanitary line and storm sewers.  Main Street will remain closed for the week, until the end of the workday on Friday, September 27, 2019.

Dundas Street Asphalt Resurfacing

Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019

As part of the 2019 Capital Projects, City Council approved the resurfacing of Dundas Street from Wellington Street to Vansittart Avenue to rejuvenate the 20-year-old driving surface. 

Timing:  Weather permitting, removal of brick pavers from intersections will take place beginning Monday, September 16, 2019, with work on the intersections be completed one side at a time, and milling work will begin on Friday, September 27, 2019; weather permitting. The final surface paving will take place after the milling work is completed.  Expected completion date is 3-5 weeks, again depending on weather and unforeseen difficulties.

Parking:  There will be no parking on Dundas Street during the length of construction.   For parking alternatives, please visit our parking webpage to view the locations of our municipal parking lot.  When parking on the streets, please adhere to all parking signage and bylaw requirements.  

Detour:  Eastbound traffic will be maintained at all times, and westbound traffic will be detoured north to Ingersoll Avenue from Dundas Street and Huron Street, then west on Ingersoll Avenue to Vansittart Avenue, and south on Vansittart Avenue back to Dundas Street.

For Transit Detours, please visit our transit detours and service interruptions webpage.

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and cooperation.

Notice to Owners/Businesses/Residents

During Reconstruction Projects

Access to Property

Unfortunately, it's not always possible to not have an effect on nearby residents during the actual heavy construction portion of the project. Heavy equipment will generate noise, vibration, fumes and dust. When roadways, driveway ramps and sidewalks are being excavated and removed, affected residents may lose vehicular access to their street and driveway for a period of time. You may pick up a temporary parking permit that will allow you to park your vehicle on a nearby side street or designated area by the City until you have access to your street or driveway. For your safety, please do not enter into a work site.

Tips for Driving Through Construction Zones

  • Slow down, drive at the posted speed limit and be aware of construction zones and working crews.
  • Watch for signs. Signs contain essential information about traffic conditions, road closures and detours ahead.
  • Watch for trucks turning and backing up.

Garbage and Recycling

Please continue to place garbage and recycling at the end of your driveway by 7:30 a.m. on your normal route unless otherwise notified. If the garbage and recycling trucks are unable to travel on the roadway, the contractor will take these containers to the nearest intersection or designated area for pickup.

Please use plastic garbage bags wherever possible and clearly mark returnable containers with your house number and street address.  Please note that if your garbage and recycling materials are not set out per our requirements, they will not be picked up by the contractor.

Road Reconstruction Projects

2019 Construction Schedule

Our regular maintenance program (see our Road and Sidewalk Maintenance) is designed to proactively address the wear and tear on our streets but if you notice something that needs to be fixed, let us know.

For emergencies or after-hours issues, call the appropriate Emergency Contact.

Road Closure Permits/Downtown Contractor Permits

Special Events Road Closure Permit

A special event road closure permit is required for anyone wanting to hold a small parade/procession, street block party, a race/walk/bike-a-thon, demonstration or any similar event that requires a lane or road closure or may interfere with the normal flow of traffic on any city road.  For larger venue events please contact the Manager of Communications and Special Events.  If you wish to book a picnic in our city parks, please contact the Parks Department.

General conditions

  • Road closures will be restricted to the roadway area specified.
  • The permit holder/organizer must provide advance notice of the special event and street closure to all property owners along the route of the event so they may notify other parties such as visitors and special deliveries.  
  • Emergency and regular vehicular access to all properties on the street is to be made available at all times. 
  • The permit holder/organizer agrees to follow all the provisions stated in the Special Events Road Closure Bylaw, Chapter 837.
  • The permit holder/organizer must notify all emergency services 48 hours notice prior to the closure/event with the date and time of the closure.  Call 519-537-2323.
  • If police assistance is required, the permit holder/organizer must contact the Administrative Sergeant, Woodstock Police Services by email at or by phone at 519-421-2800 ext. 2601.
  • The permit holder/organizer will be responsible to set up and take down the allocated road closure devices as per the requirements of Public Works Department.  Deliver of these devices will occur on the weekday afternoon prior to the event and collected the following weekday morning after the event.  Damaged or missing devices will accure to the permit holder/organizer.
  • No alcoholic beverages will be permitted on the City's right-of-way.
  • The permit holder/organizer will remain at the event until its conclusion and have the approved permit on hand. 
  • A detailed map must be submitted with the application in form of a PDF showing the exact location of event, bbqs, temporary play structures (i.e.: but not limited to bouncy castle, etc.), music/bands, food trucks (proper business license is required and must accompany the permit application.  Contact the Clerk's Department for food truck details), any other items that will be a part of your event.  Tent permits may be required.  Please follow up with the Building Department  for details. Failure to provide all the necessary details on your map may delay the applciation process.
  • The permit holder/organizer may be asked to provide a public liability insurance in the amount of $2,000,000 prior to the event.
  • The City will be held harmless from and against all liability, loss, claims, demands, costs & expenses.

To request a special events road closure, please complete the application form and fax it to 519-421-3250 attention Engineering Office Supervisor or email it to the Engineering Office Supervisor with the subject line - Special Events Request.

Please allow no less than 10 business days to review the application and follow up if necessary.  Permit holder/organizer and anyone attending the event is still required to adhere to all city bylaws including the Special Events Road Closure Bylaw.

Special Event Road Closure Application Form

Road Occupancy / Access Permit

If you are planning on any work where you will be excavating the road, boulevard or City right-of-way you will require an Excavation Permit. Please email or drop off you application to the Office of the City Engineer at 944 James Street, Woodstock, ON N4S 0A7.

Road Excavation Permit

If you are planning on any work in the City's right-of-way such as refacing a building, installing signage, etc. you will require an road occupancy/access permit. Please email, fax (519-421-3250) or drop off your application to the Office of the City Engineer at 944 James Street, Woodstock, ON N4S 0A7.

The following documentation must accompany your application.  Please refer to the back of the application form for a detailed list of general conditions and requirements.

  • WSIB certificate showing type of work being performed is covered
  • Insurance certificate in the amount of $5 million identifiying the Corporation of the City of Woodstock as third party insured from the commencement of work unitl the date of completion.  Coverage must consist of comprehensive policy of public liability, and property damage insured for the work.
  • A traffic control plan as per the Ontario Traffic Control Manual, Book 7, Temporary Conditions latest revision. 

Please allow one to two weeks to review and process the application, and follow up if necessary to clarify any uncertainties. 

Road Occupancy / Access Permit Application Form 

Temporary Downtown Construction Permit

A construction permit waives the maximum uptown parking time permitted to allow a contractor's vehicle or refuse bin to be parked or located beyond the two hour time restrictions.  The applicant is still required to adhere to all bylaws and posted signs on city and county streets as well as in our municipal lots.  That is you will not be permitted to park in no parking areas or no stopping areas.

A permit will be issued only for the minimum required time necessary to complete the construction and at the discretion of the Office of the City Engineer.  Refuse bins shall be removed immediately after completion of the construction.  With exception of the refuse bin, the permit shall not be valid for the applicable hours on designated snow clearing routes/streets. (2:00 a.m. - 6:00 a.m.)  The cost for this permit is $20/space/week.  Method of payment is cash, debit or cheque.

Failure to comply with the general conditions found on the reverse side of the application will result in the issuance of a parking infraction notice.

If you will be working on the City Right-of-Way, a Road Occupancy Permit is required. See above.

Contractor / Bin - Downtown Parking Permit Application Form

Contact Us

© 2017 City of Woodstock P.O. Box 1539, 500 Dundas Street, Woodstock, ON N4S 0A7


Phone: 519-539-1291
TTY: 519-539-7268
Email: General Information

Back to top

I'd Like To...