tree background

Building Permits

The City of Woodstock Building Department has a one permit system, which means the permit to Construction or Demolition is used for building any structure, mechanical, plumbing and site drainage work. This permit is also used for sheds, decks, porches, garages, carports, interior & exterior renovations. Zoning by-law compliance and site plan approval (where applicable) are also part of the permit process.

When is a building permit required?

Permits are required for a variety of different types of projects. Be sure to check if your project requires a permit before starting construction!

Permit applications forms

When considering any kind of construction on your property it is a good idea to discuss your plans with local building staff first. They will help determine the permits and approvals you may require.

Construction or Demolition Permit

You are required to complete this form for any structure you plan to build. (Houses, sheds, decks, porches, garages, carports, interior/exterior renovations/alterations, additions, etc.)

Apply for a Construction or Demolition Permit

Required Clearances for Demolition Permit

This form is required along with the construction/demolition permit if your project proposes demolishing an existing structure.

Complete a Required Clearances for Demolition Application

Sign Permit

Along with this permit you must provide a site plan showing the location of the sign and a letter from the property owner(s) stating you have permission to install the sign. Please note on the application how long the sign will be in place. (Temporary sign permit, sandwich boards, sight triangles, etc.) 

Receive a Sign Permit

Pool Fence Enclosure Permit

If you are installing a pool, you require a pool fence enclosure permit. If a fence is existing, please not the type and height of the fence on your site plan. (A permit is not required for a fence if you do not have a pool). See requirement package below for more details.

Receive a Pool Fence Enclosure Permit

Moving (Oversized Loads) Permit

If you plan on moving a large or oversized structure within city boundaries, you are required to take out a permit.

Receive an Oversized Loads Permit

Excavation Permit

If you are planning on digging in the City's right-of-way/property, an excavation permit is required. This permit is not required if you are working on private property. A construction/demolition  permit is required if you are repairing or connecting to the City's sanitary sewer and water services. You will also be required to call for an inspection. For more information on this permit, please contact the Engineering Technologist at 519-539-2382 ext. 3114.

Receive an Excavation Permit

Driveway Excavation Permit

If you plan on expanding your driveway, a permit is required. You must provide a drawing showing your existing driveway, the proposed expansion, drawings of all infrastruture around your driveway including trees, light fixtures, hydrants, etc. Your driveway can not be more than 50% of your frontage

Receive a Driveway Excavation Permit

What to include with your application

Along with your completed application form, you will also include two sets of each item noted below:

  • Site plan/property survey showing the location and measurements of your house and any covered structures such as sheds, porches, garages, decks, etc. If you do not have a property survey, you may provide your own drawing to scale. (The City of Woodstock does not provide copies of property surveys. These documents are copy righted and can be obtained by a professional surveying company at a cost to the homeowner).
  • Construction drawings showing the types of materials to be used, floor plan, elevation plan and the type of foundation to be used if applicable. (construction drawings are not required if your accessory structure is under 108 sq.ft.).
  • Other applicable drawings such as site services plan/grading plan, architectural, structural, mechanical, plumbing, electrical an sprinklers, depending on the work proposed.

Information packages

These information packages are provided to address what is required. If you have any questions with your construction project that is not answered in these packages, please contact our department at 519-539-2382 ext. 3103.

Building permit fees

Fees for building permits vary depending on the type of work being done. Read the complete list of building permit fees.

Contact Us

© 2017 City of Woodstock P.O. Box 1539, 500 Dundas Street, Woodstock, ON N4S 0A7


Phone: 519-539-1291
TTY: 519-539-7268
Email: General Information

Back to top

I'd Like To...