Building Permits


The City of Woodstock Building Department has a one permit system, which means the permit to Construction or Demolition is used for building any structure, mechanical, plumbing and site drainage work. This permit is also used for sheds, decks, porches, garages, carports, interior & exterior renovations. Zoning by-law compliance and site plan approval (where applicable) are also part of the permit process.

When is a building permit required?

A building permit is required under the Ontario Building Code Act for the construction or alteration of any structure. 

Below is a list of typical projects that require a permit:

  • Adding or removing most walls,
  • Attached or detached garages,
  • Basement or main floor walkouts,
  • Carports and Garages,
  • Completion of rough-in fireplaces,
  • Construction of any new building or structure on your property,
  • Construction of non-load bearing basement walls,
  • Damp-proofing basements,
  • Decks or porches,
  • Dormers,
  • Excavating or constructing a foundation,
  • Furnace replacements,
  • Installation or changes to air conditioning systems,
  • Installation or changes to plumbing,
  • Major duct work changes,
  • Material alterations, additions or repairs to a building,
  • New fireplaces,
  • New or structural alteration to windows or doors,
  • Renovation or converting an existing building (change of use and occupancy),
  • Repairs to masonry,
  • Replacement or altering a roofing structure (if changing shingles only, no permit is required),
  • Sheds (all sizes),
  • Solariums,
  • Sunrooms, and
  • Temporary buildings, mobile homes or pre-fab structures.

Permit applications forms

  • Construction or demolition permit for any structure
  • Required clearances for demolition permit (this form is required along with the construction/demolition permit)
  • Sign permit (temporary sign permit, sandwich boards, sight triangles)
  • Pool fence enclosure permit (a permit is not required for a fence if you do not have a pool. See requirement package below) 
  • Moving (oversized loads) permit
  • Excavation permit (if you are planning on working in the City right-of-way. An excavation property is not required if you are working on private property. A Construction permit is required if you are repairing the sanitary sewer and water services.)
  • Driveway excavation permit (If you plan on expanding your driveway, a permit is required. You must provide a drawing showing your existing driveway, the proposed expansion, drawings of all infrastruture around your driveway including trees, light fixtures, hydrants, etc.Your driveway can not be more than 50% of your frontage)

What to include with your application

Along with your completed application form, you should also include two sets each of construction drawings (construction drawings are not required with a shed under 108 sq. ft.), property survey or site plan, site services plan/grading plan, architectural, structural, mechanical, plumbing, electrical and sprinkler) depending on the work involved. The City of Woodstock does not provide copies of property surveys. This is a copy righted document and can by obtained by a professional surveying company at a cost to the homewoner.

Information packages

These information packages are provided to address what is required. If you have any questions with your construction project that is not answered in these packages, please contact our department at 519-539-2382 ext. 3103.

Building permit fees

Fees for building permits vary depending on the type of work being done. Read the complete list of building permit fees.

When considering any kind of construction on your property it is a good idea to discuss your plans with local building staff first. They will help determine the permits and approvals you might need.