park background

Voter Information

The Ministry of Municipal Affairs provides a very informative 2018 Voters' Guide for Ontario Municipal and School Board Elections. It provides genernal information about Municipal Elections in Ontario. Information specific to Woodstock is found below.

Who Can Vote?

You can vote in the City of Woodstock municipal election if you are:

  • a Canadian citizen; and
  • at least 18 years old; and
  • a resident in the City of Woodstock; or
  • a non-resident of Woodstock, but you or your spouse own or rent property in the City; and
  • not prohibited from voting under any law

You may only vote once regardless of how many properties you own or rent within the City.

If you are unavailable or unable or to cast your ballot you may want to appoint a voting proxy.

Please note that some rural addresses in Oxford County include Woodstock in the address but the property is not located in the City of Woodstock. For example, a property at R. R #8 Woodstock, ON N4S 7W3 is located in the Township of Norwich and this resident would not be eligible to vote in Woodstock. A good rule of thumb is to consider where the property taxes are paid.

Who cannot vote?

You are prohibited from voting on voting day if you are:

  • serving a sentence of imprisonment in a penal or correctional institution
  • a corporation
  • acting as executor or trustee or in another representative capacity, except as a voting proxy
  • convicted of a corrupt practice described in section 90(3) of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996

This means that if you own or rent property in the City of Woodstock under a business name (a corporation), you are not eligible to vote in the Woodstock municipal election. The property must be owned or rented under your name or your spouse's name. 


You do not need a Voter Information Card to vote. But, acceptable identification (ID) is needed. Remember to bring one piece of ID showing your name and qualifying Woodstock address. Your Voter Information Card cannot be used as a piece of ID.

  • If you do not have acceptable ID, but your name is on the voters’ list you will be required to sign a Declaration of Identity to receive a ballot.
  • If you do not have acceptable ID, and are not on the voters’ list, you will be asked to return with your ID in order to receive a ballot.

Many documents can be used to show a person’s name and address. Please review the list of acceptable documents for voter identification to ensure your ID will be accepted.

Where do I vote?

Woodstock administers a "vote anywhere" election. You do not need a voter card to vote and you can vote at any of the following locations:

Advance Polls

City Hall (500 Dundas Street)

- Saturday, October 6, 2018; 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

- Tuesday to Friday, October 9 to October 12, 2018; 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

- Monday to Friday, October 15 to October 19, 2018; 12:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.

Election Day Polls (October 22, 2018: 10 a.m. - 8 p.m.)

- Goff Hall, 381 Finkle Street

- Unifor (CAW) Hall, 126 Beale Street

- The Rock Community Church, 1140 Nellis Street

- Oxford Auditorium, 875 Nellis Street

Roving Polls will be conducted at required nursing homes, retirement homes, and hospitals as per the Municipal Elections Act

The Voters' List

Applications for revisions to the voters’ list can be made by completing and filing a revisions form at the City Clerk's Office (Main Floor City Hall, 500 Dundas Street) during the period of Tuesday September 4, 2018 to Monday October 22, 2018 during the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday (excluding statutory holidays) or through the City’s website starting on September 10, 2018. Revisions will also be accepted at any polling location on Advance Poll days and on Election Day. Electors are encouraged to ensure that their name and relevant information is correctly entered on the voters’ list.

Contact Us

© 2017 City of Woodstock P.O. Box 1539, 500 Dundas Street, Woodstock, ON N4S 0A7


Phone: 519-539-1291
TTY: 519-539-7268
Email: General Information

Back to top

I'd Like To...